I recently had to set-up two new Tanjay’s on an OCS R2 install.
These devices shipped with a version which was not a beta build but also not a build that works with OCS R2.
I knew that the Device Update Service within OCS R2 was working as I had previously upgrade Tanjay’s and also that logging in on a Tanjay was working.
But for some reason these two Tanjay’s would not update, I was prompted to login so did so, the certificate would download, time would sync and then a constant cycle of freezing and rebooting.
The Display showed “"Authentication Completed, Retrieving User Information”, this would stay on the screen for a few minute, then a reboot, a login, display the same, reboot and over and over again.
I checked the logs on the Server, they showed that the Tanjay was connecting to the Device Update Service and was been given a URL to download from, and the download was happening.
The device would upload logs to the Server (Not that I know how to read these), so all looked good.
After spending far too long on what should be a simple operation, and searching around the internet I came across nothing that jumped out at me, although did find a couple of useful posts.
- Troubleshooting OCS 2007 R2 Device Update Service for Communicator Phone Edition
- 0×2ee7/0 Update error on Old Tanjay Phone trying to update from OCS R2 Server
After getting very frustrated I found the solution.
The issue appeared to be that logging into the device was causing the update to fail, so the only option was to do the upgrade without needing to login; I assumed incorrectly the device would update correctly and then login using the new firmware.
In order to update without logging in, the Tanjay looks for the ucupdates.DHCPDomain record for the R1 firmware and ucupdates-r2.DHCPDomain for the R2 firmware. Since this was a green field OCS R2 deployment I had only created the ucupdates-r2 record thinking it would be all that was needed, and only for the Roundtables.
I created the ucupdates A record pointing it to the same IP Address that the ucupdates-r2 A record is pointing to, then I reset the device using the pin hole on the rear of the device; this clears the device and resets it back to factory defaults.
When the device rebooted it was able to download the UC Interim Firmware then, the latest R2 firmware and hay presto 10 minutes later all worked.
It should be noted that the ucupdates A record should be created in the same domain that DHCP gives out this will not necessarily match your SIP Domain.